Because the cozy cottage only has one bedroom, the enclosed front porch also does double duty as a sleeping area. The biggest issue was privacy, although there are no neighbors in visible range the occasional car does drive by and there are some early morning walkers. Besides, it feels strange sleeping while surrounded by bare windows, not to mention that it just looks a whole lot nicer with something on the windows.
I bought some 96″ curtains from overstock.com. I actually bought the same curtains in sage for the living room, but in the 63″ size. I think they were $60 total to make 11 curtains. Not bad right?
I figured I could cut them up then whip up some simple curtains on the sewing machine. Yeah, right. Simple for most, not for me. Sewing is definitely not one of my strengths, so my friend Paula came to the rescue, even though it was only a few short weeks until her daughter’s wedding.
After Paula cut and I pinned, Paula worked her sewing magic on her very cool, antique sewing machine.
We Paula managed to get six curtains done except for the bottom hem, which I would mess up finish at home. I finished the six at home and couldn’t wait to get back to the cottage to hang them. I actually put the first curtain up before I even unloaded the cooler.
And….they were too short! I obviously messed up on figuring the length. Well, instead of putting the rod through the intended hole, I put it through the top part which is where normally the fabric would bunch up. It gave about another inch or so and they look fine. Still a tad short, but I can live with it. They can be fixed if I want to take apart the top hem… yeah, maybe this winter, or next winter.
For curtain rods I used copper pipe from Home Depot.
I think it’s my favorite part of the window treatments.
Well, here’s what they look like closed…
… and open.
So now I have to figure out what to do on the top of the windows and paint the trim. Oh yeah, and make 7 more curtains!